Sunday, March 24, 2013

How to land an Internship

I've been so busy lately with midterms and work.  However, I landed my first internship.  It is at a counseling center downtown.  This internship is different than the other ones I have interviewed for.  One day a week I will be doing administrative work.  The other day I will be working on a personal project.  For the personal project, I will be teamed up with one of the counselors to create a group or workshop based on something I pick.  I chose conflict resolution and crises intervention.  The counselor said we will make a curriculum for a workshop and I am beyond excited.  It will be amazing experience.  Now, there are a few things that I learned along the way to getting that "we want you" call.  First, use your college resources.  I am beyond lucky that my school has a whole program that helps you find an internship.  Once I was accepted, I met with my mentor and explained that I was looking for something psychology and human relations related.  After she unlocked my account, I was able to pick jobs from a database to apply for.  My mentor would tell me what she knew about the jobs and even sent me a template for my resume.  In the first two weeks I got calls for interviews.  One was a phone interview and the other (the internship I took) was at their office.  A tip that I had heard was that you should dress for the job you want, not the job you are applying for, when you go into an interview.  I wore professional business attire with natural make up and my hair pulled back.  I tried preparing for the interview, making a list of my strengths and weaknesses, but I learned that each interview is different.  The questions I was asked was how much I was willing to work, how I felt about certain situations, and even how well I get along with dogs.  After the interview, my interviewer said he liked me but he wanted me to email him ideas for my personal project and call him the next week.  When I called they said they wanted to offer me the position. Since they were looking for college students, they are completely flexible to my class schedule and are even allowing me to not start till after finals.  It is such a relief to know that I will be getting amazing experience and that they will work with me.  I think the most important tip is to use your college resources, they are there just to help you!

No comments:

Post a Comment